Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Phillius Dempsey - Lion Tamer

Date of Application: August 15, 1942
Name: Phillius Harmond Dempsey
Title of Act: Lion Tamer

Summary of Act:
I tamed lions with the Ringling company until 1938. I was let go after an unfortunate "accident" with one of the sad-clowns who was known as a heavy drinker. The cage was locked when I left and I am still uncertain how Jocco ended up in there with the cats. I was acquitted in a court of law, but have found employment scarce. I have never been mauled myself, though from what I have witnessed, it is very painful and sometimes fatal. Big cats can be fierce when riled. I recommend all wild beasts be kept fed.

Other Talents: I can also tame tigers and some monkeys, though I have found that most monkeys cannot be trusted.

Notes: Mr. Dempsey had a difficult time understanding that we are a carnival, not a circus and that we do not house any wild beasts, other than the conjurer's menagerie, which is a handful in itself. When I tried to explain this, he became somewhat riled and indignant, and stomped around the trailer exclaiming that we must be some kind of third-rate outfit if we didn't handle wild animals. He went on to explain that monkeys, while mostly untrustworthy, gave an outfit personality and that children found them a delight. I for one am fond of the simian and wouldn't mind having a couple of the little shavers around, providing the insurance rates are not too dear. Mr. Dempsey is a fiery sort and would be well-suited in the company of animals or cooks. I have offered him a position in the cook-tent, pending an inquiry into the acquisition of a couple of chimpanzees or squirrel monkeys, which Mr. Dempsey will do on his own time, for no extra pay.

- Miller Hatsfield, Senior Roustabout and Hiring Manager
The Salty Peters Traveling Carnival, Roadshow and Burlesque Review

No comments:

Post a Comment