Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Grady Bainsbridge - Conjurer

Date of Application: October 15, 1937
Name: Grady Hammett Bainsbridge
Title of Act: Conjurer

Summary of Act:
My act is entitled "The Amazing Bainsbridge" and I am a master of illusion and the hypnotic arts. My eyes and well-spoken cadence will mesmerize the audience and females in attendance have been known to swoon. I have built my act around the well-respected and mysterious magical realm of the orient, where the secrets of illusions are passed down through generations of masters and die with the bloodline. My sleight of hand is unparalleled. I feature a great menagerie of small beasts, including rabbits, squirrels, doves and a brace of hedgehogs which are conjured from thin air in a dramatic fashion. I have performed for the crowned heads of Europe with my assistant, Golda, who can also act as a hoochy girl in the late-nite shows or after-hours.

Other Talents: I can juggle.

Notes:
Mr. Bainsbridge is a noted grifter and flim-flam man, known throughout the Midwest and south by his given name, Charles Reeger. Further research revealed that Reeger has been incarcerated in various jails and holding cells since 1927, when he first began fleecing carnival customers through magic "deceptions" and clumsy pickpocketing. His assistant Golda (Marjorie Haynes) has been arrested over a dozen times for prostitution and solicitation.

I suggest that we offer Bainsbridge a position as conjurer, since The Amazing Walter will be behind bars until at least June, 1938 in Rittman, Ohio. His particular talents may be useful, but I think offering a minimum wage would be our best course, so that when he is eventually arrested again, the loss will not be too dear.

Miller Hatsfield - Senior Roustabout
The Salty Peters Traveling Carnival, Roadshow and Burlesque Review
October the 15th, 1937

No comments:

Post a Comment