Total Pageviews

Friday, September 29, 2017

Etta Mae Flowers - Aerialist

Date of Application: May 17, 1939
Name: Etta Mae Flowers
Title of Act: Aerialist

Description of Act:
I am equally comfortable on a high wire or trapeze. I have no fear of heights and my balance is unequalled. I have an array of dazzling leotard which fit quite snuggly and double as a hootchie-kootchie outfits as needed. My extraordinary limberness makes my aerial acrobatics even more fetching and gives me a "leg up" in the hootchie-kootch.

Other Talents: I can cipher and do bookkeeping and mend all my own costumes, which can become ragged if not kept up.

Notes: Even as I explained to Miss Flowers that we are a carny outfit and not a circus and had no real place for an aerial act, she proceeded to scamper up a tent pole and perform a series of twists, turns and spins that were quite jaw-dropping. The fact that she did this in a dowdy skirt made the performance even more impressive, as the excited whistles and applause from the roustabouts in attendance proved. Miss Flowers is indeed very limber and I have hired her on as a hootchie girl. She will also help out with bookkeeping and costume repair. As she has no trailer of her own, she will bunk in my coach until other arrangements can be made. This is strictly on a temporary basis.

- Miller Hatsfield
Senior Roustabout
The Salty Peters Traveling Carnival, Roadshow and Burlesque Review

No comments:

Post a Comment